Everyone knows about the importance of flossing teeth, but how many individuals are actually flossing correctly? Flossing done properly removes plaque, food particles, and debris from hard to reach areas in the mouth.
According to Dr. Alexander Ash of Studio Dental Care, flossing is the one of the most crucial aspects of maintaining oral health. While a toothbrush does a good job in keeping the sides and tops of teeth clean, dental floss is an important agent that makes it possible to effectively clean between teeth.
First, there are two types of floss available for use:
- Nylon (or multifilament) floss
- Polytetrafluorethylene (PTFE), or monofilament floss
Both types of floss will work, although one type may be preferable for specific dental needs. Nylon floss can be either waxed or unwaxed and is composed of numerous strands of nylon. Nylon floss may occasionally shred or tear with rough use, or between tightly packed teeth. PTFE, or nonfilament floss, may be a better option for some patients because of its stronger durability. PTFE floss may also be a better option for individuals with tight spaces between teeth. Both types of floss, if used properly, are excellent agents for maintaining oral health.
Proper teeth flossing techniques include:
- Using about 18” of floss
- This will keep you from wasting floss or having to go back for more
- Use a firm grip between thumb and index fingers
- A firm grip will give the most control
- Follow the natural curves of your teeth
- Gently floss the curves of teeth to avoid bleeding, injury, or inflammation
- Use clean sections of floss for each tooth
- Use an up-and-down motion to floss
- Clean beneath the gum line
- Avoid snapping the floss on the gumline
- Use a gentle wiggle or a back-and-forth motion to clean the gumline
Studio Dental Care by Dr. Alexander Ash is located in Studio City. Dr. Ash proudly provides general and cosmetic dentistry services to patients seeking to maintain or improve dental hygiene. Dr. Ash serves patients in the greater Los Angeles, Burbank, and Toluca Lake areas.
Studio Dental Care offers cosmetic dentistry and general dentistry needs, including teeth whitening, dental implants, veneers, routine cleanings, fillings, bridges, and more. For more information regarding any of the above services, please contact Dr. Alexander Ash for a consultation pertaining to Invisalign Teen, Invisalign, teeth whitening, dental implants, and general oral care information.